Select your language

Many companies in our industry have a forklift, terminal tractor or semi-trailer tractor without a license plate for moving goods and vehicles. There may also be other construction and agricultural vehicles, trailers or motor vehicles with limited speed (MMBS) within the company. If you enter the public road with such a vehicle (or in the future), this vehicle must be registered with the RDW (Rijksdienst Wegverkeer) in 2021. Registration is not necessary if the vehicle never enters the public road.

Not all forklifts need to be registered. However, if the forklift enters public roads (or will be introduced in the future) and the following conditions are met, registration with the RDW is necessary in 2021:

• Forklift is wider than 1.3 meters

• Forklift is narrower than 1.3 meters and has an interchangeable trailed attachment at the front

• Forklift narrower than 1.3 meters pulling a trailer.

For more information about registering your (construction) vehicles, trailers or limited speed motor vehicles (MMBS), see Registreren (land)bouwvoertuigen en MMBS | RDW | RDW

Public road

The following criteria are used for the definition of a public road:

• A road is public if a vehicle can enter it, regardless of whether it is allowed to enter it. There is a case law that a frozen river is a public road. The vehicle can get there, even though it is not intended.

• A road is public if it is not supervised. There must be some form of (automated) surveillance to prevent unwanted vehicles from entering the site. A case law shows that parking lots at Schiphol, where a ticket can be purchased from a machine, is insufficiently supervised. A barrier with supervision or a system with passes is considered sufficient supervision.

A road is therefore not public if both criteria (vehicle cannot enter AND supervision) are met.